Monday 28 June 2010

Not being ready - Day 34

I took a video for Day 33. I'm in a very shady Internet cafe right now, and i will blow the whole place up if i try to upload that shit. So you'll get that later. For now, here is the story of day 34. The day i was not ready.

I got off my flight and found that none of my cards were working. Then I found out busses don’t take passengers with lots of bags. So I haggled my last 700VT to get a Taxi to Florence’s farm.
I was thrown straight back into Island life.
No shoes.
Flies everywhere.

I was given a plate with 3 lumps of boiled Taro and a cup of hot water and a WHOLE packet of biscuits with which to dip in my ‘tea’.

I’d forgotten how bad boiled taro tastes.

Whereas last year, I would have eaten most of this out of politeness, this year, my Irritable Bowel prevented me from doing so. One taro and three biscuits later, I was bloated on the verge of what seemed like explosion.

I had been informed that Vanuatu now has television, so we all sat down to watch bible preaching. 6 hours later, I fell asleep, successfully avoiding Kava for one night.

The next day was much the same, with the food and the TV. I managed to unblock my cards and went into town.
Florence sent a young boy with me. I don’t know why. He refused to speak English. Actually he refused to speak at all. I offered him a seat in the Internet cafĂ©, but he just chose to sit next to me and read everything I wrote on facebook.

After about an hour in town, I decided to head back, because when an awkward silence breaks the one hour mark, you know they will NEVER talk.

I couldn’t avoid the Kava this night. I had 3 Shells. Vomited horribly, then two more shells, a beer and a cigarette. It was wonderful. (Not sure how sarcastic that last sentence is supposed to be - it was actually quite nice.)

On day 36, I got on my flight to Pentecost, to transit in Santo. I was dreading it for some reason. I’ve never felt so nervous. This is the most ridiculous parallel, but, If anyone’s read Twilight, I felt a bit like Bella feels when Edward leaves her.

In Santo, I was told that the rest of the flight was cancelled because of bad weather.

I have NEVER been so elated. I think I had gone headfirst into the whole thing, with all the stress of the flight and the cards, then going DIRECT to Florence’s farm. It’s like one minutes you’re in the West, and the next minute, you’re on a farm watching Bible preachings, eating Taro.

But now I get to graduate myself into it all. Two Days in Santo, to myself. With my Macbook, and a French Patisserie.

No comments:

Post a Comment