Friday 10 September 2010

San Francisco Days 77 - 83

I Left My Heart In San Francisco--Tony Bennett
Christmas In San Francisco--Vic Damone
(Sittin' On)The Dock of the Bay--Otis Redding
Fisherman's Wharf--Peggy Lee
Frisco Blues--John Lee Hooker
Lights--Journey
San Francisco Blues--Peggy Lee
San Francisco Days--Chris Isaak
San Francisco--Judy Garland
San Francisco--Jeanette MacDonald
San Francisco--Scott McKenzie
Streets Of San Francisco--Sanford Clark
We Built This City--Starship
San Francisco--Brian Wilson,Van Dyke Parks
San Francisan Nights--The Animals
San Francisco Teardrops--Marty Robbins
Hello, San Francisco-- Buddy Guy
Let's Go To San Francisco --Flowerpot Men
San Francisco (You've Got Me)--Village People
Little Boxes (Ticky Tacky)--Pete Seeger
Got The Date On The Golden Gate--Mel Torme
San Francisco Bay Blues--Jesse Fuller
San Francisco Rose--Jim Nemeth
Sausalito--Maureen Brill
On a San Francisco High--Sony Holland
The Golden Gate
In San Francisco (wake me up)--Matthew Langlois

There's a reason that so many songs were written about this place. It's just insane.
So my journey started a bit wrong.
I couldn't find the bus from the airport to the city, wondering around the shambolic carpark, looking for it. Then i saw the bus on the other side, and ran with my busted suitcase, holdall, rucksack and my boyfriends hat in hand onto the bus.
Half an hour letter, i was very confused by the road signs on what was supposed to be a 15 minute journey into the city.
I discovered i got on the right bus but in the wrong direction. So jetlagged i got off and crossed the road, and hauled my busted suitcase, holdall and rucksack onto the correct bus and got cosy. I made sure i had everything, then realised i lost the hat. It definately wasn't on either bus with me. So i imagine it floated away while i was running for the first bus.
Oh dear.

RIP Hat.



But i eventually got there and DRAGGED my worthless suitcase across many blocks to the hostel. The Glorious Green Tortoise. Remember when i left Vanuatu last year, i'd been there more than 6 months, and spent a night in a 5* hotel in Auckland? Well the Green Tortoise was better than that wank.



The best place i've ever stayed. No, the hostel wasn't a small green bus, but they had many a small green bus in thier garage!

So anyway, once i arrived i began WALKING this epic city. I started off up telegraph hill, to Coit tower. "What a hill!" I thought. Little did i know, as the days went by, every hill would get successively, impossibly steeper and steeper, culminating in me crawling up the sidewalk to the top of the Twin Peaks. Here's what i did in my first week, as usual, in pictures.

Downtown



A tunnel under a road. I simply can't conceive where it leads?







Telegraph Hill






What i thought was a very steep hill at the time! Little did i know...



China Town





Yerba Buena Gardens









SFMoMA











Haight

A very mini staircase...


Leading to a beautiful house!


Steps going up a hill, so you can walk down the other side??


The Crookedest street in the world.



Embarcadero





Two tramps and a non climbable noodle.




No comments:

Post a Comment